One of my daughter’s favorite muffins is a lemon poppy seed variety. She loves the tanginess of the lemon with the slight crunch of the seeds and is always happy when I make them for breakfast or brunch.
Printable Recipe – Lemon Poppy seed Muffin
This recipe is moist and delicious and has a tang of buttermilk. It is sure to be a delight with your family too.
See more recipes at The Gardening Cook on Facebook.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated (I use free range eggs)
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Zest of 2 lemons, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, first the buttermilk, then lemon juice, and finally the vanilla. Continue beating on a low speed just until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups, 3/4-full.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes then remove to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving Calories 191 Total Fat 9g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 52mg Sodium 231mg Carbohydrates 24g Fiber 1g Sugar 12g Protein 3g