Printable Recipe – Lemon Poppy seed Muffin
One of my daughter’s favorite muffins is a lemon poppy seed variety. She loves the tanginess of the lemon with the slight crunch of the seeds and is always happy when I make them for breakfast or brunch.
This recipe is moist and delicious and has a tang of buttermilk. It is sure to be a delight with your family too.
See more recipes at The Gardening Cook on Facebook.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated (I use free range eggs)
- 1⅓ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Zest of 2 lemons, grated
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, first the buttermilk, then lemon juice, and finally the vanilla. Continue beating on a low speed just until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups, ¾-full.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes then remove to cool completely.