All you have to do is look into your mail box and you will see how much junk mail you get on a daily basis. Junk mail is unwanted, wastes paper and other materials and ends up on our garbage heaps in huge numbers all over the country. Turn this unwanted mail into garden mulch with this easy gardening life hack.
Got Junk Mail? Make garden Mulch!
Most cities now have recycling for junk mail, but it can also be used in your garden too! Get the junk mail off of your desk and into your garden where it can feed your plants for months.
- Remove any envelopes that have cellophane windows. Plastic will not break down.
- Put the junk mail through a paper shredder. Remove staples as needed – you don’t want to be digging in the dirt and cut yourself with a rusty staple!
- Place a 6 inch layer of the shredded paper around your plants.
- Water it well. It will settle down to about 2 inches or so.
- Top the paper with a thin layer of top soil or organic mulch.
- The paper will completely break down over the course of a season or two and your soil will be amended nicely. The earthworms love paper too, so they will find this tasty mulch!
For more gardening tips, please visit The Gardening Cook on Facebook.