Gardeners and lovers of flowers alike love columbines. This wild version called Eastern Red Columbine is also known as the American Columbine. The plant grows wild all the way from Canada to Florida and from Texas to the Dakotas.
Showy Eastern Red Columbine
One can easily see why it is so loved. The flowers are very showy, with a bright strawberry red bell shape that has a bright yellow stamens. It is sure to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Click here to purchase Seeds for Red columbine from Outside Pride on Amazon.
- Zones: Perennial in zones 7-8
- Light: Will grow in anything from part shade to full sun
- Height: Up to 24 inches
- Soil and water: well drained soil, will tolerate drought/dry conditions
- How to grow: Start from seeds.
- Bloom time: Early summer
- Attracts: Birds and Butterflies
- Foliage: Remains attractive most of the year.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."