These 8 layer macadamia nut bars are a high end version of Hello Dolly bars. They are super easy to make and taste just amazing.
Making these High End 8 layer Macadamia Nut Bars
One of the most common desserts that we had when I was growing up was a bar type of sweets. My mom had 6 kids and bars were one of the easiest sweets for her to make with a limited amount of time. She made all sorts of them. One of my favorites to this day is her date bars. My husband is fond of fruit desserts, so I make them often.
I, on the other hand, am fond of sweeter desserts, particularly anything with peanut butter in it. I have made just about any type of layered bar you can imagine.
This high end 8 layered bar takes the traditional 7 layered dessert to a whole new level. Instead of graham cracker crumbs, I used a combination of chocolate and biscotti style cookies. And instead of walnuts, I used macadamia nuts. And of course, it’s 8 layers because there had to be a layer of peanut butter chips in there somewhere!
But never fear…I used fat free sweetened condensed milk to “lighten it up.” As if anything could lighten up a dessert like this!
For more decadent desserts, please visit The Gardening Cook on Facebook.
Here are some photos. I got carried away with them waiting for them to cool!
Fresh out of the oven and just cut!
A whole plate full, waiting for after dinner.
Don’t these macadamia nut bars look yummy?
- 1 cup of chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1 cup of shortbread cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 14 ounce can of fat free sweetened condensed milk. (You can, of course, use full fat. I just was trying to fool myself into thinking I could make this into a lighter dessert.)
- 1 cup of butterscotch flavored chips
- 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of peanut butter chips
- 1 cup of white chocolate morsels
- 1 1/3 cup of flaked coconut. (use a new bag. it's worth it.)
- 1 cup of chopped macadamia nuts
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with a non stick buttery cooking spray.
- Combine the chocolate and white cookie crumbs with the melted butter and press into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Spread the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the crumb mixture.
- Layer the chips in this order: Butterscotch, white chocolate, Peanut butter, Dark chocolate.
- Sprinkle the flaked coconut on the top and finish with the chopped macadamia nuts.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
- Remove and loosen from the sides of the pan while it is still warm.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
- To remove the bars more easily, you can line the pan with aluminum foil sprayed with Pam. Extend the foil over the edge of the baking pan, so you can use it as handles to remove the bars.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 385Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 36gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.