This ground beef Manicotti adds a nice mix to the normal manicotti recipe with just beef and ricotta cheese. It is a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables and not complain.
The whole dish is topped with store bought Italian sauce to save on time and then sprinkled with your favorite cheese. I used Cheddar but any cheese will work fine.
This recipe is both hearty and has a generous helping of fresh herbs as well as a heap of veggies. You’ll love knowing that you have added some nutritious value to a normally high carb meal.
Ground Beef Manicotti – Great Italian Main Dish
For non meat eaters, be sure to have a look at the vegetarian version of this dish. It will satisfy even meat eaters in your family and is sure to please those who don’t eat meat at all.
Be sure to visit my Facebook Gardening Cook page.
- 8 ounces of uncooked manicotti shells.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp of fresh parsley,
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano,
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp fresh thyme.
- 1/2 cup of sweet red, yellow and orange peppers diced
- 1 cup of diced mushrooms
- 1 cup of small broccoli florets
- 15 oz of ricotta cheese
- 1 medium egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan reggiano cheese
- 14 oz marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cook the pasta in salted water as the box suggests. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet and cook the onion, garlic, peppers and mushrooms until just lightly cooked. Add the spices and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, cook the ground beef until lightly cooked. Add to the vegetable mixture.
- Combine the egg with the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and mix well. Add the vegetables and meat mixture and stir to combine.
- Put a little of the pasta sauce in the middle of a 9 x 13" pan. Fill each manicotti shell with the vegetable mixture and place on the sauce. Add more sauce to the top of the filled shells and then top with the grated cheddar cheese.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 616mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 32g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."