St. Patrick’s Day will soon be here and that brings with it thoughts of luck. These best of luck wishes and good luck quotes are fun to share with friend or on social media to send good luck wishes to all.
Motivational quotations on photos of nature are a favorite with the readers of The Gardening Cook, and they are also lots of fun for me to make. These graphics combine shamrock and other good luck images with well wishing quotes and sayings. Why not spread the luck around?
Other lucky plants
Shamrocks have long been considered a symbol of good luck, but they aren’t the only lucky indoor plants to be found.
There are also some other plants that are thought to bring good luck to the home. Check out these good luck plants:
- Lucky namboo – dracaena sanderiana
- Braided money tree plant – pachira aquatica
- Parlor palm – chamaedorea elegans
- False shamrock plant – oxalis
- Money plant – crassula ovata
- Rubber plant – ficus elastica
- Phalaenopsis orchids – feng shui tells us they bring good luck to our family
- Peace lilies – spathiphyllum
- Boston gern – nephrolepis exaltata
Fun facts about shamrocks
When we reference the luck of the Irish, the plant that is normally shown is a shamrock – trifolium repens. This plant has three leaves in nature but sometimes a fourth leaf is found on the plant and this represents luck.
Brush up on your knowledge of shamrocks with these fun facts.
- The botanical name trifolium repens (white clover) is the variety of clover that we recognize as a shamrock.
- A shamrock has three leaves but, according to folklore, if you find one with four leaves, it means good luck.
- Each leaf of the clover means something different – the first=hope, the second=faith, the third=love and the fourth=luck.
- For every four leaf clover, expect to find 10,000 three left plants!
- Shamrocks are often a part of Irish weddings.
- The ancient Druids believed that they could keep away evil spirits and danger by carrying a shamrock with them.
- St. Patrick made the shamrock famous when he preached that the traditional 3 leaf clover represented the Holy Trinity.
- Oxalis is often sold as a shamrock plant but it is different genus of plants – Oxalis triangularis (false shamrock) The plant may have purple or green leaves and the whole plant closes up at night and opens in the morning. This trait is called nyctinasty.
- Sir John Melton Wrote “If a man walking in the fields finds any four-leaved grass, he shall in a small while after find some good thing.” in 1620. It shows that luck and shamrocks have been associated together for centuries.
- In the early 18th century, the British authorities threatened those who work the color green or shamrocks with death, since it was a symbol of Ireland.
Shamrock quotes and four leaf clover sayings
It’s fun to make graphics of shamrock images with good luck quotes and sayings embedded in them. I find this type of image to be very popular on social media. People also love to print them out and use them as homemade greeting cards to share with their friends
What better time to do this, than this time of the year, with St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner?
Here are some of my favorite images of shamrocks with sayings that make me think more about luck, and good wishes.
“A good friend is like a four leaf clover.”
~Jenna Evans Welch
“Keep calm and shamrock on.”
“O, the shamrock, the green, immortal shamrock! Chosen leaf of bard and chief, old Erin’s native shamrock.
“Oh Paddy dear, and did you hear the news that’s going round? The shamrock is forbid by law to grow on Irish ground.”
~quote from The Wearing of the Green
More shamrock quotes
Here are a few more shamrock quotes to share for St. Patrick’s Day.
- “I’ll seek a four leaved shamrock in all thy fairy dells, and if I find the charmed leaves, oh, how I’ll weave my spells!” ~Samuel Lover
- “O, the red rose may be fair, and the lily statelier; but my shamrock, one in three takes the very heart of me!” ~Katharine Tynan
- “Viva la the new brigade! Viva la the old one, too! Viva la, the rose shall fade, and the shamrock shine for ever new! ~Thomas Davis
- “For each petal on the shamrock this brings a wish your way. Good health, good luck, and happiness for today and every day.” ~Old Irish Blessing
- “O, love is the soul of a true Irishman; he loves all that’s lovely, loves all that he can, with his sprig of shillelagh and shamrock so green. ~ Sprig of Shillelagh
- “I’ll seek a four-leaved Shamrock in all the fairy dells, And if I find the charmèd leaves, oh, how I’ll weave my spells!” ~Samuel Lover
Good luck quotes
Tradition says to drop a clover in your beer or Irish whiskey, drink it, and then, for good luck, throw the clover over your left shoulder while toasting St. Patrick.
It is not just the shamrock that is considered to bring good luck on St. Patrick’s day. Tales of leprechauns abound, delighting children with their stories of luck.
Irish blessings have also long been thought to bring luck to the recipients. If you are looking for some best of luck wishes to share with friends, check out these best wishes quotes.
“Nobody gets justice, people only get good luck or bad luck.”
~ Orson Welles
“Good Luck needs no explanation.”
~ Shirley Temple
“Good luck is a residue of preparation.”
~ Jack Youngblood
Funny quotes about good luck
Quotes are not just motivational or inspirational. Some are meant to tickle your funny bone. Here are a few of my favorites.
“Every day a piano doesn’t fall on my head is good luck.”
“The only sure thing about luck is that it will change.”
“Good luck beats early rising.”
~ Irish Proverb
“If a man who cannot count finds a four leaf clover, is he lucky?”
~ Stanislaw Lern
“The more I practice, the luckier I get!”
~ Gary Player
“It’s bad luck to be superstitious.”
More funny good luck quotes
If you enjoy a good chuckle, here are a few more funny good luck sayings to brighten your day.
- “Some folks want their luck buttered.” ~ Thomas Hardy
- “A lucky man is rarer than a white crow.” ~ Juvenal
- “People always call it luck when you’ve acted more sensibly than they have.” ~ Anne Tyler
- “I will ride my luck on occasion, but I like to pick the occasion.” ~ Rex Stout
- “Depend on the rabbit’s foot, if you will, but remember, it didn’t work for the rabbit. ~ R.E Shay
Thought provoking luck quotes
These quotes about luck are meant to make you think in a different way.
“Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.”
~Dalai Lama XIV
“Luck never gives; it only lends.”
~ Old Swedish Proverb
“The best luck of all is the luck you make for yourself.”
~ Douglas Macarthur
“Luck is what you have left over after you give 100 percent.”
~ Langston Coleman
“May your thoughts be as glad as the shamrocks. May your heart be as light as a song. May each day bring you bright, happy hours that stay with you all the year long.”
~ Old Irish Blessing
More thought provoking best wishes quotes
When I read quotes, I especially enjoy those that make me think deeply. If you are still looking for some inspiration? Here are some more best of luck quotes.
- “Good luck is the twin brother of hard work.” ~ Anonymous
- “You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.” ~ Cormac McCarthy
- “Luck makes friends.” ~ Ovid
- “The greatest advice that good luck has for you is this: Do not look for me. I will find you.” ~ Mark Benedict
- “Luck is tenacity of purpose.” ~ Elbert Hubbard
- “Luck marches with those who give their very best.” ~ H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
If you have a favorite quote, please leave it in the comments below and I’ll try to find a picture to make it into a wish you the best luck graphic.
Good luck quotes from movies and TV
Are you looking for a quote about good luck from your favorite movie or TV show? Maybe you’re a movie buff and want a good luck saying to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day!
Some of our favorite quotes come from characters depicted in motion pictures and television shows. Here are a few of them.
Do you remember the good luck quotes from these shows or movies?
“May the odds be ever in your favor.”
~Jennifer Lawrence from The Hunger Games
“Never give up and good luck will find you.”
~ Alan Oppenheimer from The Never Ending Story
“Here is to good luck. May it all be mine.”
~ Jamie Farr from the movie Cannonball Run II
“Do not confuse luck with skill.”
~ Kenneth Tsang from The Replacement Killers
“May fortune favor the foolish.”
~ William Shatner from Star Trek IV The Voyage Home
More good luck quotes from movies and TV
Can’t get enough of good luck quotes from movies and TV? Well you’re in luck, I’ve got plenty more to share with you.
Here are a few more of your favorite movies with famous quotes about luck.
- “Melvin, do you know where you’re lucky? You know who you want.” ~ Greg Kinnear from As Good as it Gets.
- “People get things they don’t deserve all the time.” ~Johnny Galecki from The Big Bang Theory
- “You know what they say brother – luck is where opportunity meets preparation.” ~ Eddie Murphy from Dolomite is My Name
- “Luck don’t live out here.” ~ Jeremy Renner from Wind River
- “A jackrabbit in a den of wolves – fortunate to be alive.” ~ Michael Fassbender from Lethal Weapon
- “Money makes your life easier. If you’re lucky to have it, you’re lucky.” ~ Robert DeNiro from Money and Actors
- “Everybody has bad luck with me.” ~ Humphrey Bogart from Across the Pacific
Pin these luck quotes and sayings for later
Would you like a reminder of these St. Patrick’s Day luck quotes on a shamrock image? Just pin this image to one of your motivation boards on Pinterest.
More inspirational quotes pages
If you love quotes and sayings on pretty pictures, be sure to also check out these posts:
- Inspirational flower quotes – Who doesn’t love flower photos? I’ve shared some with my favorite quotes.
- 20 best sunflower quotes – Inspirational quotes over images of sunflowers to brighten your day.
- Romantic rose quotes – Fall in love all over again with one of these quotes about love
- Inspirational fall sayings and quotes – Get inspired with these sayings on photos of fall scenery.
- Motivational quotes to inspire you – Give yourself a mood boost with one of these motivational quotes.
- Gardening quotes and inspirational sayings – Gardening is my first love, but quotes are a close second!
- Inspirational quotes about hope – In times of uncertainty motivational sayings about hope will lift your mood.
A note on these good luck quotes
Making graphics such as these best of luck quotes take me quite a long time to do. If you share them on social media (and thank you for that!) please link to this page, rather than uploading the image yourself.
What is your favorite image that comes to mind when you think of luck? I’d love to hear your story in the comments below.
Admin note: this post good luck wishes first appeared on the blog in February of 2020. I have updated the post to add more quotes, a printable quote coloring sheet and a video for you to enjoy.
Are you a fan of adult coloring? This shamrock quote coloring sheet might e right up your alley!
- Photo paper or heavy card stock
- Coloring pens or pencils
- Deskjet printer
- Load your computer printer with photo paper or heavy cardstock.
- Print the image below and color.
This image prints to about 3/4 size sheet of paper. If your printer has the settings, choose full page to get the largest size of image possible.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
SJ STAR-JOY 120 Colored Pencils for Coloring Books, Premier Coloring Pencils Set with Vibrant Color, Perfect Holiday Gifts for Colorist Drawing, Soft Core Colored Pencils
Brother MFC-J805DW INKvestmentTank Color Inkjet All-in-One Printer
Galada Photo Paper 100 Sheets 4x6 Photo Paper High Glossy Vivid Color Waterproof Photographic Paper