It’s featured recipe time. This one comes from my favorite International recipe site called Molly Mel. Regina is a fabulous cook and many of her recipes are Brazilian in nature. Most are easy to do and look just delicious.
Basically these are cheese balls, or cheese buns, but gluten free. Regina says they are very popular in Brazil and that all of her American friends who I know and have tried it just love it. They say it’s impossible to eat just one!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 17 ounces cassava flour - (also known as sour tapioca starch )
- 3 eggs
- 7 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 3 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the oven to 350°F.
- Bring the milk to a boil and cook over medium heat.
- Place the tapioca flour in a large bowl and pour the milk (while still hot) over it, and mix everything together with a wooden spoon.
- Add one egg at a time to the dough being sure to mix well.
- Add the cheeses and knead until the mixture is not sticking to the hand anymore.
- Roll into ping-pong size balls and space them about two inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until they are lightly golden.
- Pão de queijo is better served warm, but cold is delicious, too.
- Best served the day you make it but them can be frozen. They can go straight from the freezer to the oven.
Recipe shared by Regina of Molly Mel.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 64 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 17mg Sodium: 208mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 2g