There is nothing quite like the smell of a crock pot breakfast that wakes you up for a great start to your day. This recipe for French Toast breakfast casserole combines cinnamon and brown sugar with a maple syrup drizzle tastes just like French toast made on the stove top. Prepare it before you go to bed and cook it in the morning for a great crock pot recipe to start the day.
French Toast Breakfast Casserole
An even better idea is to invest in a crock pot timer. This timer outlet works well for the job. This allows you to set the timer the night before so that the casserole starts cooking before you even wake up!. My recipe has adaptations for a normal oven casserole and also the crock pot version!
The bread is cut up into chunks so this makes it very easy to eat too. Great for those times when you are in a hurry in the morning.
For more great recipes, please visit The Gardening Cook on Facebook.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups of full fat milk milk
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup to drizzle
- Place the bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, brown sugar, vanilla and Kosher salt. Pour the mixture over the bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Dot with butter.
- Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle with maple syrup.
- Spray a 4-5 quart slow cooker with nonstick baking spray.
- Cut the French Bread loaves into ¾-inch cubes. Spread on a clean baking sheet. Bake in an oven preheated to 225 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until bread is dried out and crisp.
- Place the bread into your prepared slow cooker.
- In a blender, combine the milk, eggs, vanilla, 4 tsp brown sugar, vanilla and maple syrup. Drizzle entire mixture over the bread in the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to combine 3 tbsp brown sugar, t tsp vanilla, 2 tsp ground cinnamon and 2 tbsp butter. Sprinkle mixture over the top of the bread.
- Set slow cooker to low. Cover and cook for 4-5 hours.
- minutes before serving, remove the lid of the slow cooker and allow the french toast to cool and set.
- Serve with fresh berries and a drizzle of maple syrup, if desired.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."