I find it relatively easy to adapt most baked goods for vegans, but what about those that contain eggs? There are plenty of egg replacements but first you have to examine your recipe to find out what you want the egg to do.
What are Good Egg Replacements for Vegans?
Do you want to replace a whole egg, or just the yolk or just the white? Eggs have many different uses. Sometimes they are used for binding ingredients, sometimes for making a recipe lighter and fluffier, ) and sometimes just for the taste of the egg itself.
If it is the taste of the egg, it can be a tall order to find good egg replacements. There are a number of vegan friendly egg replacements in baked goods. Here are some of them: (affiliate links)
- Fruit is an excellent replacement for eggs. You can use applesauce, bananas or any other fruit that has a high pectin content. A rule of thumb is 1/4 cup of fruit puree = one egg
- Silken Tofu makes a great egg replacement, since it takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. Once again 1/4 cup tofu = 1 egg. Whip it or beat it before adding to the recipe.
- Soy yoghurt – just replace one egg with 1/4 cup of soy yoghurt.
- Ener – G egg replacer[/easyazon_link]. Commercial product 1.5 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons of water = one egg
- [easyazon_link identifier="B00LUXODLS" locale="US" tag="thegarcoo-20"]Ground Flax seeds -Grind 1 tbsp whole flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water to replace one egg.
- Baking powder– combine 2 tbsp water and 1 tbsp oil with 2 tbsp baking powder to replace one egg.
What have you used for egg replacements in recipes? Please leave your comments below.
For more household tips, please visit my Pinterest board.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."