When you are in a hurry in the morning but still want something tasty for breakfast, it is often easiest and fastest to do a drive through at a local fast food chain. But wait – this is not even a choice, when you have these tasty egg muffins on hand.
Make them when you have a bit of free time and keep them in the fridge. They will keep for about 5 days. Then, on a busier day, just pop them in the microwave for about a minute, add some fresh fruit and you have a tasty and much healthier version of a fast food breakfast.
You can put whatever you would like in the bottom of the muffin cups. I used left over ham, spinach, sliced mushrooms and peppers and Gouda cheese today with my eggs. But sausage works, well, or any cut up meat. If you are a vegetarian just add more veggies to make an extra nutritious breakfast.
Basically, you just fill your muffin cups about 2/3 full of your fillings and cheese. Be sure to leave some room for the egg mixture.
Whisk your eggs with cream and skim milk (or all skim milk if you want them to be more low fat) plus seasonings. I used large sized muffin cups but the small ones will work too. Just don’t cook them as long.
If you like frittatas, then you will love these egg muffins. Egg muffins are much like frittatas, although smaller. Instead of pouring the combined mixture into a large frittata in a frying pan, you do this into muffin tins.
Now wouldn’t you rather have your own individual frittata muffin than a fast food egg Mcmuffin? I know that I definitely would! Add some fresh fruit and you have a great tasting easy breakfast that you will feel so much better about serving that some drive through meal.
For the filling
- 1/3 cup of Gouda Cheese (any cheese will do. I had Gouda in the fridge)
- 1/2 cup offham, finely diced (or any other meat such as turkey or sausage)
- 2 large mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of sweet peppers, diced yellow and red pepper
- 1/2 cup of baby spinach, diced
For the eggs
- 9 eggs
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 tbsp of skim milk
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- dash cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Grease 6 large or 12 small sized muffin tins.
- Fill the Muffin tins about 2/3 full of your fillings. Be sure to leave room for the egg mixture.
- Combine the eggs, heavy cream, skim milk and seasonings in a bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- Pour over the filling mixture in the muffin tins. (add a bit more filling if needed at this stage. I used a small spoon to swirl the mixture at this stage so the fillings were well mixed with the eggs.)
- Bake at 350º F for 20-25 minutes for small muffin tins or 30-40 minutes for the larger ones.
- Makes 6 large muffins or 12 small ones.
These keep well in the fridge for about 5 days. To reheat later, just pop in the microwave for about a minute.
For cooking times, if you plan to reheat, cook them less. If you want to eat them right away, use the longer cooking times.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 288 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 346mg Sodium: 461mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 26g