These easy chicken fajitas are super tasty, super easy to prepare and one of my favorite 30 minute meals.
This is such a busy time of the year. The summer is over, kids are heading back to school and there don’t seem to be enough hours in the day to do everything that needs to be done.
Today, to save time, a rotisserie chickens is going to be the star in my easy chicken fajitas recipe.
These easy chicken fajitas make back to school mealtime a breeze.
Rotisserie chickens are boon to any busy home cook. You can even use the rotisserie chicken container in some gardening ways later. Check out my rotisserie chicken mini terrarium for a few ideas.
I use rotisserie chickens all the time. A great bonus for me, since I live in NC, where we still can get really hot days – even in September, is that I don’t have to heat up my kitchen as much in the evening.
In just minutes, you’ve got a meal that the family will love, even though you spend such a little amount of time preparing it. More time to spend with the kids, plus a great tasting meal. What is not to love?
Some tips for making these fajitas :
- Take shortcuts where you can. Cooked rotisserie chickens can be used in so many recipes and are perfect for fajitas.
- Split the tasks. Chopping up the veggies and making the marinade early in the day makes the evening task so much easier.
- Don’t want to chop? Purchase packages of peppers and onions already sliced for fajitas.
- Don’t like to prepare fresh jalapeno peppers? Canned make it easy and taste just fine.
Tonight I am looking at the world through Mexican colored glasses. Lean strips of chicken breast, colorful bell peppers and onions served sizzling hot with warm tortillas.
Doesn’t this sound (and look!) like your idea of delicious?
Chicken fajitas… One of my family’s favorite meals. My husband and daughter always order chicken fajitas when we go out to a Mexican restaurant.
They’d be quite happy if I cooked them every night I think!
And with this easy meal, there is no reason that I could not do so! They are so easy to prepare. Especially when the chicken is already cooked. The list of ingredients might look long, but it’s mainly a combination of spices.
That means no pounding chicken to make it thin, marinating it for hours and then cooking and preparing it before you add the sizzling veggies.
These fajitas are one big bowl of Mexican love, just ready to have a party in your mouth! All that needs doing with the chicken is to slice the white meat thinly, then slice up some onions and peppers.
The last step is to make a little marinade with lime juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder and a can of jalapeno peppers. Takes all of 10 minutes and we are good to go.
Cooking tip: Make the marinade, and chop the vegetables early in the day. The flavors will make the fajitas even tastier and dinner will be that much easier.
One great big bowl and all the veggies get a good toss of the 1/2 of marinade. The other half goes on the cooked rotisserie chicken strips.
It will soak up the flavor of the marinade while the veggies are cooking and will make the veggies go from wow to pow when you add the chicken to the grill pan.
Heat up the oil and add the marinated vegetables. Listen for the sizzle! That is a big part of the fun with fajitas.
When the veggies are almost cooked, stir in the chicken and let the flavors combine.
Warm the tortilla shells in the microwave, add your fajita fillings and top with your favorite toppings. For us, that means avocados, salsa and sour cream. Olé!
Cooking tip: To keep the tortillas from sticking in the microwave, place a paper towel between them and then cover with a damp paper towel.
Heat just for a minute. Don’t overcook them or they will be dry.
If you prefer a lower carb version of the meal, just use Romaine lettuce leaves in place of the tortillas. They make the perfect holders and don’t have a speck of wheat in them.
Want to make your own easy chicken fajitas? Time to get creative and think about much you will love the feeling of putting a delicious meal on the table in a hurry. Makes it so much easier to get into the back to school routine, doesn’t it?
Think anyone will know that you put together this meal in about 20 minutes? And the flavors…oh my, oh yes.
How about you? Do you have a favorite recipe that uses a rotisserie chickens? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
Oh oh…tomorrow is another busy day too. I can already hear family cheering when the find out what I’ll be making next!
- White meat from 1 rotisserie chicken, cut into 4" strips
- 1 large onion, sliced lengthwise and cut into long strips
- 3 large bell peppers sliced into strips ( i used three colors)
- 3 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2-3 tbsp canned jalapenos peppers (3 is quite spicy)
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro chopped
- 6 flour tortillas (or Romaine lettuce leaves for lower carb version)
- Sliced avocado
- Sour cream
- Cut the chicken into 4 inch strips and set aside. Combine the onions and peppers in a separate bowl.
- Combine the marinade ingredients, divide it in half and spoon it evenly over both the chicken and the vegetables.
- Heat a grill pan and add the peanut oil. Let it get hot and toss on the veggies.
- When the vegetables are almost tender, stir in the cooked rotisserie chicken and stir well. Add the broth and heat through until everything is hot and sizzling..
- Warm up the tortillas in the microwave and fill with the peppers and sliced chicken. If you want a low car version, use romaine lettuce leaves instead of tortillas.
- Top with salsa, sliced avocado and sour cream.
- Makes six good sized fajitas.