These yummy turtle brownies are shout out to my dad.
One of my dad’s favorite sweet treats are turtle chocolates. He always has a bag hidden in his bed side table (with 11 grandchildren visiting, he has to hide his sweets!)
This recipe for easy turtle brownies combines the great taste of caramel, pecan and chocolate into a brownie.They are semi home made. As in, “I cheated a lot to make this dessert but won’t tell you how.”
The brownies combine a chocolate cake mix, with butter, pecans, evaporated milk, caramel candy and chocolate chips. They are easy and fairly quick to make and taste great.
These turtle brownies are so moist and so fantastic that you won’t want to stop eating them! Basically, you just make a bottom layer of brownies, top it with a caramel, chocolate layer, and add some pecans and top with the rest of the brownies.
What could be easier than this? Now, the only trick for me is not to eat the whole pan.
These are seriously good brownies. My dad would love them, and my husband is right in line behind him. Thankfully, I can freeze some, or they would disappear on the first day.
What I love most about these brownies is the rich caramel inside them. You just can’t get that from packaged turtle brownie mixes. Doesn’t this look scrumptious?
Do you love brownies but don’t want to take a hit on your waist line? Try these low calorie brownies made with Diet Dr. Pepper.
- Combine the cake mix, butter and 1/3 cup of the evaporated milk and mix thoroughly together in a large bowl. Fold in about 1/2 of the chopped pecans reserving the rest for later.
- Press one half of batter down evenly on the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch pan. Bake at at 350º F for 7 minutes until set.
- To make the caramel, add the unwrapped caramels and another 1/3 cup of the evaporated milk in a microwave safe bowl. Heat until the caramel and milk have melted and are combined and smooth, being sure to stir between after each 30 seconds. Time will vary depending on your microwave.
- After first half of batter has baked for 7 minutes, remove pan and evenly pour the caramel mixture on top.
- Evenly layer the chocolate chips and remainder of the pecans over top the caramel.
- Top with the second half of batter. To do this, press small pieces of the batter flat and layer it over the caramel/chocolate layer until covered.
- Bake at 350 º F for 5-7 more minutes or until the brownies are done.
- Cut into squares and serve. Store in an airtight container.