Curried Carrot Tofu Soup makes a wonderful and luxurious starter to a healthy meal. The recipe uses tofu and vegetable broth and is easy to make.
Healthy Curried Carrot Tofu Soup
This is a great soup for vegans. There are many things that you can substitute for normal diet ingredients to make a recipe suitable for vegans.
Silken tofu gives the soup a creamy texture without using dairy products. Vegetable broth forms the base of the soup, Earth Balance buttery spread gives it some richness, and it is finished off with Tofutti non dairy sour cream.
But don’t let the ingredients fool you. My meat eating husband loves this soup which is high praise from him, since he is not know for enjoying vegan foods, normally.
My homemade Southern Cornbread also makes a good side for this soup.
Find more recipes on my Pinterest Healthy Cooking board.
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1½ pounds carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1½ tablespoons yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne
- 6 cups vegetable broth, or more as needed
- 8 ounces silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup tofutti sour cream
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced on the bias
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the buttery spread followed by the onion, carrots, curry powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until the curry powder becomes toasted and aromatic, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and add the tofu. Season again with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Working in small batches in a blender or using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Strain and transfer to a clean large saucepan over medium heat. Add the lemon juice and more broth, if needed. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed, then heat through.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and spoon 1 tablespoon of warm heavy cream in the middle of each.
- Swirl the tofutti sour cream with a spoon, place a mound of scallions in the middle of each bowl of soup, then serve.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."