I love making crock pot recipes all the time, but particularly in the winter months. One of my favorite things to make in it is a great tasting crock pot vegetable beef soup recipe.
Having a big bowl of soup is a great way to warm up on early spring days when the weather is still cool. For another great recipe, try my slow cooker vegetable beef barley soup. It’s very hearty and filling.
Making the Vegetable Beef Soup
I love using the crock pot to make soups. The appliance keeps the kitchen cool, so I can enjoy the taste of soup all year long. Be sure to also check out my green split pea soup with ham and my Curried broccoli soup. Both are super hearty and delicious!
This delicious slow cooker vegetable beef soup is nicely seasoned soup and tastes so good. It is very convenient, too, since it simmers all day in the crock pot.
The soup is full of garden fresh veggies. I used celery, carrots and leeks this time but really any vegetables will taste just great. The ground beef was easy to pre-cook and added a great flavor to the soup.
I added a bit of sherry just before the end of the cooking time to give it an extra bite of sweetness.
Add in a few slices of home made crusty bread and you have a great tasting and very hearty soup. There is no way your family will skip lunch when they have this to look forward to.
My homemade Southern Cornbread also makes a good side for this soup.
For more crock pot recipes, be sure to check out my Pinterest Slow Cooker Board.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 4 medium carrots, cut into bite sized pieces on the diagonal
- 14 oz Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 leeks, cut into 3/4" pieces
- 1/2 cup of long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup of canned red kidney beans
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely diced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sherry
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- In a nonstick skillet cook the ground beef, garlic and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the carrots, celery and leeks to the same skillet and cook lightly, then add to the crock pot.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients, except for the sherry and frozen peas.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the sherry and frozen peas and continue cooking for 1/2 hour.
- Discard the bay leaf before serving. Serve with warm crusty bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 1351mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 28g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.