The combination of chocolate and peanut butter is one of my most favorite sweet treats. These Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies have a crunchy outer layer of chocolate (cocoa) with a filling of smooth peanut butter. I always warm them just before eating. They are delicious with a spoonful of Soy Vanilla Ice cream.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies are a Mouth Watering Treat
These chocolate peanut butter cookies are easy to make. They use cocoa instead of chocolate, and Soy Silk milk instead of normal milk. Maple sugar and real sugar (vegans can use vegan can sugar if they are concerned about the charcoal aspect.
For more vegan recipes, please visit my Pinterest Vegan board.
Have you used maple syrup as a sweetener? What do you think of the finished product?
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar (vegans use vegan cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons Soy Silk non dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (use pure vanilla extract, not imitation)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp unsweetened dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup natural salted peanut butter, creamy style
- 2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Soy Silk non dairy creamer
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl combine oil, sugar, maple syrup, non-dairy milk and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix to form a moist dough.
- Make the filling. In another mixing bowl beat together peanut butter, confectioner’s sugar, 2 tablespoons of soy creamer and vanilla extract to form a moist but firm dough. If peanut butter dough is too dry (as different natural peanut butters have different moisture content), stir in remaining tablespoon of non-dairy milk. If dough is too wet put in a little extra powdered sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape the cookies. Create the centers of the cookies by rolling the peanut butter dough into 24 balls. Scoop a generous tablespoon of chocolate dough, flatten into a disc and place a peanut butter ball in the center.
- Fold the sides of the chocolate dough up and around the peanut butter center and roll the chocolate ball into an smooth ball between your palms. Place on a sheet of waxed paper and repeat with remaining dough.
- Flatten cookies just a little but this is not really necessary, since they will flatten in the oven.
- Place dough balls on lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart and bake for 10 minutes. Remove sheet from oven and let cookies for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to complete cooling.
- Store cookies in tightly covered container. If desired warm cookies in a microwave for 10 to 12 seconds before serving. (I suggest this. They are just delicious when served warm)