Why Have Bird Houses?
The birds that visit your backyard are a part of the whole ecosystem. Having a home for your feathered friends adds some interest to your yard and makes sure they will keep visiting.
If you attract them to your yard by having bird friendly bird houses, and adding fresh clean water to the yard, they will visit often and bring many benefits to your yard such as:
- Controlling pests. Since birds eat insects, they will help to eliminate unwanted pests in your yard and free you from needing to use otherwise harmful pesticides.
- Weed control. Birds love to eat weed seeds. Gardeners do not like to weed. A Win win situation for all!
- Flower pollination. There are many birds who love to sip nectar from flowers and help to pollinate. With the bee population diminishing, attracting birds who do this is sure to benefit your garden.
- Conservation. Birds love native plants. If you grow these and then attract birds to your yard with bird friendly birdhouses, you will find that your gardening chores will diminish.
- Property Values. A well maintained home with native landscaping that attracts birds has great curb appeal, which helps with property values.
Choosing the right bird house is a matter of personal taste. The come in all shapes and sizes, to match any outdoor decor. Here are a few ideas to give you some inspiration. (photos are public domain photos from MorgueFile.)
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."