Many people enjoy stews in the fall when the autumn is cooler but I enjoy them all year round. My main reason is because I can cook them in my crock pot. That saves me time and gives me a delicious stew as well. This beef stew with root vegetables is one of my favorite crock pot recipes.
Beef Stew With Root Vegetables – Slow Cooker
When I went out to get my harvest from my vegetable garden today, I notice that I had two rutabagas growing and one of them was huge. So out them came, with the intention of ending up in this delicious recipe for Beef Stew with Root Vegetables.
I also dug up a few spring onions, some by the bulb, since I wanted that for the stew, and some by the “cut and come again method” that I use.
I had a nice piece of beef chuck and more root vegetables in my crisper so they all ended up in the stew. Good quality red wine and beef stalk and some fresh thyme got added and I was all set. It is cooking now and smells delicious.
The recipe cooks all day and the color sort of combines. It tastes delicious but you may want to garnish with some colorful veggies to serve to get a pop of color on the plate.
- 2 lbs chuck beef
- 2 rutabagas, chopped into chunks
- 2 leeks, chopped into 1' pieces
- 3-4 carrots, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 4 medium sized potatoes, chopped into chunks
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 large spring onions, diced
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 2 tbsp of fresh thyme
- 1 cup red wine *see tip at bottom of post
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- crushed pepper to taste
- Colorful veggies to garnish.
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, garlic salt and thyme. Coat the meat well with the mix.
- Meanwhile, chop up all the vegetables and place into the bottom of a large slow cooker.
- Pour over 3/4 cup of the red wine and beef stock and place the piece of chuck steak on the top of the vegetables. Pour the remaining wine. Season with salt and pepper and cover.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on high.
- /2 hour before serving. Remove the meat. Cut into pieces if desired. Stir the vegetables.
- If the sauce is not thick, combine 2 tbsp arrowroot with 1/2 cup of water and add to the vegetables. Put the meat back, cover and reduce heat to low and finish cooking for the last 1/2 hour.
- Serve with a salad and warm garlic bread or biscuits.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 406 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 112mg Sodium: 474mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 5g Protein: 42g