I love to find neat garden uses for common household items. There are so many things that we throw away that can be put to good use in a garden. Aluminum disposable pie plates are one of those things.
Don’t Throw those Disposable Pie Plates away!
These plates can be re-purposed for many garden uses:
- Scare the pests away with them, at least for a while. They make an annoying sound when they move around in the breeze. When sunlight hits them, they also flash light around which can scare critters. Just tie them with string to branches, trellises or garden fences.
- Fill them with beer to trap snails and slugs that love to eat hostas and some vegetables.
- Cut holes in the center and place them right around the base of a plant. This thwarts some pests and also serves as a way to reflect heat up to the plant in the cooler months.
- Use them to make stepping stones for your garden path.
- Place them around the garden with water in them to keep the birds from eating your fruit and veggies. (most of the time they want water not food.)
- Put cinnamon in them to deter ants and keep them from eating blooms of your favorite plants. Ants hate cinnamon and will not cross over it.
- Use them as natural squirrel repellents by adding crushed red pepper flakes. Squirrels hate this smell and will avoid your vegetables.
- Use them as saucers for your plant pots.
- Make a bird feeder out of them.
Can you think of other ways to use disposable aluminum pie plates in your garden? Please leave your comments below.