This recipe for 3 cheese chicken penne with Alfredo sauce is a copy cat version of one of my favorite Applebee recipes. It is rich and creamy and very easy to prepare.
We go out to dinner every Sunday night to give me a day off cooking. We try not to spend too much since we do this weekly and just rotate through our favorite round of Applebee’s Chili’s, Olive Garden and similar restaurants in this price point.
I try to get a different meal each time so that I can try and duplicate it for my blog. Copy cat recipes are very popular with my readers who love the taste of restaurant food at home.
Some of my attempts are fairly successful and others not so much. This one turned out well. The recipe uses Mozzarella, provolone and Parmesan cheeses combined with a penne pasta in a rich Alfredo sauce.
Making 3 cheese chicken penne pasta
The key to the taste of this recipe is using three different cheeses: provolone, Parmesan and mozzarella. This gives a creamy finish that is just amazing.
The recipe is rounded out with white meat from your favorite rotisserie chicken, some bruschetta, with chopped tomatoes, and fresh basil and a generous serving of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Since I use a bottled Alfredo sauce, it is fairly quick to do too.
This dish is rich and delicious, and easy to make. No need for a trip to your local Applebee’s restaurant. Just make it at home!
Tasting this penne pasta recipe
Every bite of this delicious dish is brimming with Italian flavor. The sauce mixes so well with the mixture of cheese and this coats the penne pasta and gives you a rich, creamy finish.
Fresh tomatoes, basil and garlic tops the dish with a bright fresh burst of home grown flavor.Serve with a tossed salad and fresh garlic bread for a taste that can’t be beat.
Would you like a reminder of this recipe for 3 cheese Chicken Penne Pasta? Just pin this image to one of your Pinterest cooking boards.
- 2 chicken breasts from a rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 4 ounces of uncooked penne pasta
- 1/2 jar of your favorite Alfredo sauce
- 1/4 cup of Provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup of Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan reggiano cheese, divided
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbsp of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the pasta in salted water until it is al dente, about 12 minutes. Drain.
- While the pasta is boiling, make the bruschetta chop the tomatoes, garlic and basil. Combine in a bowl with the olive oil. Set aside.
- Combine the pasta with bottled Alfredo sauce from the jar. Heat slightly in a skillet. Add the provolone, mozzarella, and 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese.
- Layer the pasta with the rotisserie chicken. Spoon on the freshly made bruschetta, and sprinkle with the remainder of the freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with a side salad and freshly made garlic bread.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1/2 of the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 860.7 Total Fat 50.6g Saturated Fat 17.2g Unsaturated Fat 15.1g Cholesterol 177.3mg Sodium 1308.1mg Carbohydrates 60.7g Fiber 5.0g Sugar 2.8g Protein 43.5g
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."