This Mexican inspired recipe for Pollo a la Crema features chicken breasts in a cream sauce with mushrooms and sauteed green peppers. Serve it with warm tortillas and a side of re fried beans and Mexican rice and you will have one of your favorite Mexican restaurant meals at home!
Making Pollo A La Crema
Pollo a la crema is flavored by the use of onions, and sweet peppers. You can use green peppers or colorful peppers. Both taste great.
Start by cooking your chicken pieces in hot oil. Set aside and keep warm.
Add the onions and peppers and cook them gently.
Add in the mushrooms and cook gently. Return the chicken to the pan. Combine the cream and paprika and cook until the sauce is hot and bubbly.
I like to serve this dish hot with refried beans and Spanish rice. Add some tortillas, too, if you want a more hearty meal.
For another tasty Mexican meal be sure to check out this Chori Pollo recipe.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- ½ cups fresh mushrooms, sliced fairly thick
- ½ cups of green pepper, cut into strips
- ½ tablespoon Spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoons chicken bouillon crystals (can also use a stock cube)
- ½ cup heavy cream (Mexican cream is best)
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- Heat oil in large frying pan. Saute chicken strips, peppers and onion until chicken is no longer pink & onions are translucent and peppers are softened. About 5 or 6 minutes.
- Add the cream, mushrooms, paprika & chicken bouillon.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream. The mixture will be somewhat thin, but it should have a creamy texture like the consistency of a white sauce.
- Serve hot with warmed flour tortillas, re fried beans and Spanish Rice.