Printable Recipe: Casserole with Vegetables and Left over Ham
Looking for a great tasting casserole to use up some left over ham? I recently made a delicious honey ham, but only used a small amount of it. I can use some for breakfast and sandwiches but that would get old quickly.
This recipe for a ham and vegetable casserole is delicious, easy to make and takes the left over ham to a brand new dimension. My family loved it!
Start by preheating the oven to 375º F. Cut your vegetables into similar sized pieces.
In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a
boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
Add in the reserved vegetables and stir to combine well. Transfer these ingredients to a greased 1 1/2 quart oven proof baking dish.
In a large saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tbsp of butter; stir in flour until you get a
Gradually add the milk,Kosher salt and cracked black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce the heat; stir in the cheese, mix well and cook until melted.
Pour the sauce over the ham mixture. Sprinkle with the Italian bread crumbs. Bake,
uncovered, in the preheated 375° oven for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
The dish is so tasty and the bread crumbs add a bit of extra texture to the smooth and silky cheese sauce. Your family with love it!
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- ¾ tsp Kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a
- boil. Reduce heat; then cover and cook about for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Drain.and set aside
- In a large skillet, saute the ham, green pepper and onion in 3
- tablespoons butter until tender. Add to the potato mixture. Transfer
- to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until
- smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add
- cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour over the ham mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake,
- uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.