What do you do when you are pining for a pastry style crumble but are following a gluten free diet? No problem at all with Oat flour and Gluten free rolled oats. This delicious Gluten free apple crumble is full of flavor but contains no wheat at all.
Treat Yourself to a Gluten Free Apple Crumble.
Baking is not a thing of the past with gluten free sweets. You just need to be clever with substitutes.
The crumble is so easy to make. I did not use a pastry crust. I just sprayed a pan with Pam cooking spray and then piled on the sliced apples that had been mixed with the light brown sugar, Stevia in the raw and cinnamon with a pinch of Kosher salt. (using half Stevia and half brown sugar in both the apples and the crumble also cuts down the calories considerably without sacrificing the taste.
The next step is top make the crumble topping. I made mine in a food processor, but you can just as easily use a pastry cutter or fork and a big bowl.
Sprinkle on the crumble topping and make sure it covers the pan well. I usually spray any baked item like this with Pam before I bake it to get it a nice golden brown.
All that is left is to bake the gluten free apple crumble until it is golden brown and the apples are tender.
The crumble is good both warm or cold. When I serve it cold, I sometimes top it with a warm custard. Warm it is great served with whipped topping or a scoop of ice cream or sorbet. Who says you can’t have pastry type dishes on a Gluten free diet? Not me!See more Gluten free recipes here.
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup stevia in the raw
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch a salt
- Crumb Crust
- ¼ cup cold butter
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup of Stevia in the raw
- ¼ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup gluten free rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Spray a 9"-10" oven proof pan with Pam. Place the sliced apples in a blow. Mix the brown sugar, Stevia in the raw, and cinnamon together and sprinkle on top of apples and mix thoroughly. Pile into the oven proof dish.
- In a food processor, (or bowl using a pastry cutter or fork) cut the cold butter, brown sugar, stevia oat flour and gluten free rolled oats together until it forms a crumb like consistency. Sprinkle that on top of applies and cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until top is lightly browned and the apples are well cooked.
- Allow to cool before slicing. Serve with whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."