These strawberry oatmeal bars have a luscious fresh strawberry center that sits on a whole wheat pastry flour base and is topped with a buttery streusel crumble.
They are the perfect way to make use of fresh strawberries that are so plentiful right now.
Every year, about this time, I come back from the Farmer’s market with a LOT of fresh strawberries. I used them in so many recipes to make sure that I enjoy them, since I know that their season is quite short.
(See my fresh strawberry yogurt pops. The kids will love them!)
For this recipe, I am using the strawberries for to make a yummy strawberry sauce that gives so much flavor to these bars.
(You can use preserves like so many other strawberry bars call for, but the bars just won’t taste the same.)
Fresh Strawberry Oatmeal Bars – Bring on Summer!
The flavor of these bars comes from fresh strawberries. I love that they are used in a couple of ways in the dessert (both whole in chunks and made into a delicious preserve style puree.)
The bars just seem to be beckoning us towards summer!
Start by preparing your strawberries. Wash them and remove the stems. Use an immersion blender or regular blender to turn 1/2 of them into a puree.
Cut the other half into big chunks.
The filling is made by mixing half of the puree with corn flour and then mixing the remaining puree, the mixed puree and the chunks of strawberries in a saucepan and cooking it until it thickens.
Set the mixture aside to cool while you prepare the crumb base and topping. All of the crumble ingredients go into a food processor and it gets pulsed for a few minutes until it forms crumbs.
Half of it goes on the bottom of a prepared pan. The strawberry sauce gets added and then the remainder of the crumble goes on top to bake for about 40 minutes till it is lightly browned.
Let’s taste these fresh strawberry oatmeal bars
These bars have a buttery crust and topping that holds in the delicious strawberry center. Every bite is fresh, sweet and crunchy.
I love to take these delicious bars when I go to a pot luck dinner. I know that the pan will be empty in no time flat.
These bars are great for breakfast, perfect for a snack and round out any meal in a flavorful way. The recipe makes 24 bars each with 165 calories. Not bad for a healthy snack!
This post first appeared on my site in May 2013. I have revamped it to add new photos and to update the directions.
For the Sauce
- 1 large punnet of fresh strawberries (about 4 cups of berries)
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of sugar. (I like my bars slightly tart. You can use more sugar if you want them sweeter)
For the crust
- 1 3/4 sticks of butter cubed
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour (also works with all purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 cups of old fashioned oats (not instant oats)
- 1 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Wash and stem the strawberries. Blend 1/2 of them in an immersion blender or regular blender. Set aside. Slice the other half of the strawberries into big chunks.
- Place 1/2 of the puree in a small bowl and add the cornstarch and lemon juice. Stir to mix. Put the rest of the pureed strawberries into a saucepan and add the puree and cornstarch mixture. Cook over medium high heat until everything is well combined.
- Add the chunks of strawberries and the sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook a little longer until it thickens. Set aside to cool.
- To make the base and topping: Combine all of the ingredients for the crust in a food processor and mix until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.to make the base and topping: Combine all of the ingredients for the crust in a food processor and mix until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Place 1/2 of the mix in the bottom of a 9 x 13" pan lined with parchment paper..
- Pour over the strawberry sauce. Leave about 1/2" all around the edges with no filling.
- Top with the remainder of the crust mixture.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 7.3gSaturated Fat: 4.2gUnsaturated Fat: 2.5gCholesterol: 18.1mgSodium: 49.7mgCarbohydrates: 277gFiber: 2.1gSugar: 14.4gProtein: 1.6g