Make your Own Hummingbird Nectar
my mom recently gave me a hummingbird feeder and I checked out the cost of nectar at local stores. Everyone loves hummingbirds but keeping feeders full can become quite costly. Why pay retail prices when making your own nectar is easy and very inexpensive?
To make your own hummingbird nectar just follow these tips:
DIY Hummingbird Nectar:
- 1. mix 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 c. water together.
- Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Place mixture in pan over medium heat and boil for five minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the mixture into hummingbird feeder.
- Cover any unused hummingbird nectar and refrigerate for up to five days.
Note: Some people add red food coloring, but I do not recommend this since it can harm the hummingbirds. Just tie a red ribbon to your feeder if it is not red.
Do you have hummingbirds in your yard? You may be interested in one of these creative hummingbird feeders.