This Crustless Chicken Quiche is loaded with the amazing flavors of eggs, bacon, and cheddar cheese. The recipe is my gluten free version of the classic Cheese Quiche, but without the crust, which saves a lot of calories.
Most of the time, at breakfast, there are also bagels, muffins or rolls, so why add a crust to the quiche, particularly when it is the cheesy egg goodness that we are after? I decided to omit the crust from my quiche and it worked out just fine. The eggs set and the quiche cut nicely without the need of a crust, so saving calories is the name of the game today.
Mother’s Day is just around the corner. Won’t this quiche make a great breakfast or brunch option for mom on her special day? Add in a planter of begonias or a pretty single rose like Osiria Rose and your mum will be smiling for days!
Here is how to make this crustless chicken quiche.
Cook your bacon first and then crumble it. I like to cook my bacon on a rack in a baking dish in the oven. It crisps up nicely and lets me lose the fat that drips into the pan below. While the bacon was cooking, I heated the oil in a skillet and cooked the onions until they were translucent. Then, I added the garlic and cooked another minute and then set the pan aside.
My patio garden has just started growing fresh herbs. I love knowing that this flavor is going into my quiche to add some home grown flavoring.
Combine the eggs, and heavy cream in a large bowl. Mix well and stir in the chicken, fresh herbs, bacon crumbles, cheese and onions mixture.
Everything gets poured into a prepared pie plate or quiche dish.
Into the oven it goes for about 40 minutes or so. The quiche smells and looks amazing! Be sure to allow it to set for about 10 minutes or so before you try to cut it.
Time for tasting!
OH MY…what a flavor! Each bite is full of cheesy goodness with pieces of chicken and bacon, all beautifully flavored with fresh herbs.
Knowing that I have saved a lot of calories by omitting the crust is so satisfying. It gives me a chance to have a little something extra later today without feeling guilty.
Have you ever tried to make a quiche with no crust? How did you like it?
For more quiche ideas, check out these recipes:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups cubed cooked rotisserie chicken
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp fresh basil, minced
- 2 tsp fresh bacon, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tbsp fresh chives to garnish.
- Grease a 9 inch pie plate or quiche dish. Preheat the oven to 375 ºF.
- In a small skillet, saute the onion in olive oil until it is tender and translucent. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs and heavy cream. Stir in the chicken, herbs, cheese, bacon and onion mixture. Pour into the prepared pie plate.
- Bake at 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow the quiche to stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Garnish with fresh chives